Changing the default collation for an instance of SQL Server can be a complex operation and involves the following steps:
- Make sure you have all the information or scripts needed to re-create your user databases and all the objects in them.
- Export all your data using a tool such as the bcp Utility. For more information, see Importing and Exporting Bulk Data.
- Drop all the user databases.
- Rebuild the master database specifying the new collation in the SQLCOLLATION property of the setupcommand.For example:
Setup /QUIET /ACTION=REBUILDDATABASE /INSTANCENAME=InstanceName /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS=accounts /[ SAPWD= StrongPassword ] /SQLCOLLATION=CollationName
For more information, see Rebuilding System Databases.
- Create all the databases and all the objects in them.
- Import all your data.